Easy and slow…
Botanical Art Escape with Mary Dillon
Skiathos, Greece. September 2022
Week 1 – September 10 – 17, 2022 – ‘Wild and garden Mediterranean flowers’
Week 2 – September 17 – 24, 2022 – ‘ Fruit from a Mediterranean garden’
Would you like to take a break, to slow down, to escape the stresses of the past months, to feast your senses, enhance your painting skills and master new ones, to rest and nourish your body, your mind and your soul?
Join me on the beautiful Greek island of Skiathos in September 2022 for a botanical art escape.
During your time every effort will be made to ensure that you sleep well, eat well, rest, paint and explore.
Tutor – Mary Dillon
Many years ago, I was lucky to find ‘Painting Skiathos’, an art studio offered as a place of retreat by artist Yvonne Ayoub. It has been a place of refuge and inspiration to me and over the years I have grown to know and love this beautiful island and its people. I am excited and happy to share Skiathos with you on this Botanical Art Escape. I am sure you too will fall in love with it’s charm. I’m happy to guide you as you learn and as you paint the wonderful flora of the island. We will be joined by fellow artists Yvonne and Despina during our time. They along with myself, will be happy to do everything possible to make your stay very special.
Time for You!
More than anything , this will be time for you! Time to stop, to really look at plants, to smell, to breathe, to reflect and to immerse yourself in the process of painting.
Time to Paint!
Numbers will be limited to ensure that each person gets personal attention during our studio time. Instruction will benefit those with limited experience and also those with more experience who are aiming to enhance their skills and extend their competence.
Time to Learn!
We will cover simple techniques to accurately draw plants, by observing their structures and shapes. Learning about light and shadow will bring life to our drawing. Tips to create a dynamic composition will be followed by exploring colour mixing and matching and the simple layered wet and dry watercolor techniques needed to make a botanical painting. Learning, practicing and applying techniques will be our focus.
There will be an emphasis on examining plants, their structures, colours and textures. We will aim to capture the essence of our plant subjects with a combined focus on aesthetic beauty and scientific truth.
Skiathos with its verdant hillsides and turquoise waters, is a perfect fit for artists and nature lovers. It lies in the northern Aegean and enjoys average temperatures of between 20 and 25 degrees throughout September.
While Skiathos is familiar to us all as the eye watering setting for the film, Mamma Mia, it is an island steeped in rich literary, historical and cultural traditions.
Three of the island’s many beautiful beaches are within easy walking distance from our villa. Kolios lies half way along the island’s main bus route. A short fifteen minute taxi or bus journey away, the main town of Skiathos has an international airport with regular flight connections to many UK and European destinations, along with daily flight connections with Athens. The port of Skiathos has regular ferry services from Thessaloniki, Volos and Agios Constantinos.
Perched just above the bay of Kolios, home for our time in Skiathos will be this beautifully spacious villa. With it’s backdrop of olive trees, fig trees, citrus trees and pines and it’s panoramic views over the bay, Villa Kolios is the ideal location for a relaxing botanical art holiday. The infinity swimming pool is the perfect spot for an early morning or late afternoon swim. The terrace, which extends the entire length of the house is perfect for outside dining, offering spectacular views over the bay.
Our studio is situated on the ground floor and opens out to the covered pergola. Throughout our week there will be twenty five hours of botanical art tuition in the studio or in ‘the field’. During your free time the studio will be available for some personal painting whenever you wish. A simple art materials list will be provided, but we will keep this to a minimum to accommodate those who are travelling a distance.
19.00 Welcome drinks reception
20.30. Supper will be available throughout the evening to facilitate those arriving on the evening Aegean airlines flight from Athens.
8.00 Breakfast on the terrace
9.00 Studio introduction followed by a field trip to discover the local flora.
14.00 Free time to explore, go to the beach, work in the studio.
Monday/ Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Friday
15.00 Free time for rest, beach, town, walking, continuing in studio.
8.00 Breakfast on the terrace
10.00 Depart for those staying for one week
For those staying for two weeks there will be a choice of optional workshops on Saturday and Sunday.
- PLEIN AIR PAINTING, with YVONNE AYOUB of Painting Skiathos, who will offer an acrylic painting day in the old town of Skiathos. Details to follow. www.paintingskiathos.wordpress.com
- BYZANTINE ICON PAINTING with tutor DESPINA MITZELOU https://www.facebook.com/despina.mitselou.3
In your free time…..
- Regular bus service 5 minutes walk from Villa. Bus fare to Skiathos town is €2.
- Local taxi service readily available.
- Enjoy an alternative trip to town by availing of the water taxi from nearby Kanapitsa Beach.
- Numerous unspoiled beaches nearby within a ten to fifteen minute walk from the villa, with turquoise waters and golden sands for a relaxing swim, following our painting sessions.
- Optional afternoon tour of the island’s monasteries and more remote areas, to experience the wild beauty of the island.
- Take a boat trip to explore Lalaria and Kastro beaches. Lalaria beach with it’s white pebbles and crystal clear turquoise water and distinctive stone arch, has been named one of the most beautiful in the world. The secluded Kastro beach lies at the bottom of the hillside leading to the ancient city of Kastro. The family run taverna on Kastro beach is a must for a cool drink and delicious Greek snacks.
- Choose to watch the original Mamma Mia movie in the outdoor cinema where it had its world premiere.
- Take a day to enjoy a boat trip to the many beautiful Mamma Mia movie locations on Skiathos and Skopelos.
- Enjoy the wealth of lovely shops in Skiathos selling jewellery, clothing and contemporary artisan crafts and food products.
- While away an hour enjoying an aperitif and tapas at Kabourelias Ouzeri on the Paralia, the old port of Skiathos, where you can watch the world pass by.
- Enjoy a coffee or digestif at the Bourtzi Bar on the beautiful Venetian Bourtzi, with it’s stunning views over the town and the old port.
- Sip a cocktail on the cushions of the steps leading from one of our two dinner locations in town.
All rooms have direct access to either a private balcony or patio with views.
Most rooms are en-suite. These rooms will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
A small number of rooms will share bathroom facilities.
All rooms are either double or twin. Non painting partners or friends are welcome if sharing a room.. Please inquire about the additional costs.
- Breakfast will consist of locally made fresh pastries, fruit, honey, yoghurt, eggs, avocado and bacon.
- Buffet lunch with delicious locally sourced fresh ingredients will be available in the villa from Monday to Friday.
- Aperitifs will be offered in the villa.
- Wine is included with dinner each evening.
- We will enjoy a traditional Greek evening at O’Batis Taverna overlooking the port and the Bourtzi in Skiathos. O’Batis is run by Eleni who is also an artist and her husband Christos.
- Another evening we will eat under the mulberry tree in the square at Taverna Alexandros, which is run by Magda and her family. We will be serenaded by Greek rembetiko music. Rembetiko is beyond a genre of music, it encapsulates the soul of Greece.
- We have some excellent dining options in Kolios close to the villa and we will also eat at home some evenings.
- We are very happy to accommodate any of your particular dietary requirements.
Guests are requested to book flights at your own cost. It may be possible to book a charter flight directly into Skiathos from some UK airports. Other flight options might be to fly directly to Athens in time to connect with the evening Aegean airlines flight leaving Athens on Saturday evening. For those wishing to fly into Volos or Thessaloniki, there are direct ferries from both cities into Skiathos most days.
On your arrival into Skiathos, we will arrange for you to be met and brought directly to the villa. Your transfer back to the airport or port will also be facilitated for you.
Cost for each week.
€1,950 – one person using double or twin room.
- accommodation 7 nights,
- 7 x breakfast,
- 6 x lunch,
- 7 x dinner
- 25 hrs. botanical art tuition
- Use of studio
- Transfers to and from the airport or port.
- Transfers to and from Skiathos town on the two evenings when we will have dinner in town.
- Please contact me to check for available places. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay €500 non refundable deposit to secure your place for one week. Pay €750 non refundable deposit to secure your place for two weeks.
- I will send the Iban and Bic of my account in order for you to make payment to secure your place.
- The remainder is to be paid by May 30, 2022.
If cancellation is necessary, please email me at email@example.com as soon as possible.
Your deposit is non refundable.
If you cancel more than 10 weeks from the start date of the course, we will try to find a replacement booking. If we are successful we will refund the balance.
Cancellations advised less than 10 weeks from the start date of the course are not eligible for refunds.
At the time of booking, we recommend that a comprehensive travel insurance policy is in place which includes cancellation and curtailment cover.